Woke up at 7am to a beautiful Autumn day in Perth. The sky is beautifully clear but there’s a definite chill in the mornings! So the fluffy slippers and apron went straight on and I headed to the kitchen to make a delicious comfort breakfast. I don’t know about you, but the smell of baking apples and cinnamon is one of the best smells in the world when the weather starts to turn cold.
Last night I was browsing through Pinterest and came across this ‘Baked Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal’ and I knew I would be eating it for brekkie in the morning! The original recipe is by Food, Fitness & Family but I’ve adapted it to make it completely clean [and swapped an ingredient because I didn’t have it ;-)]
Ingredients (6 servings)
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt (I just used literally a dash of salt coz I try to limit added salt)
- 1/2 cup raisins (I didn’t have these so I left them out)
- 2 tablespoons Stevia (swapped for pure honey)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon (added a little bit more than that coz i luuuuurve cinnamon!)
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 2 cups diced apples
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup egg whites (4 whites) (I used three whole eggs in total – so three eggs including the one above)
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk (swapped for woolworths macro light soy drink)
- 1 cup water
- dash of organic vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oats, baking powder, salt, honey, cinnamon, nutmeg, chia seeds, and flax. Stir in the apples and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs. Add the milk, water, and vanilla. Pour over the dry mixture and stir to combine.
- Pour everything into a glass 7x11in baking dish or an 8x8in baking dish.
- Cook for 50-55 minutes or until golden brown.
The smell was incredible – one of those things you wish you could capture but just cant; there is no way to recreate or describe an amazing smell and give it justice.
I served mine with Greek yogurt (Chobani 2% low fat plain is the BEST greek yogurt I have found – can buy it at Woolworths) and mixed frozen berries (Season’s Choice Four Berry Mix).
I sat outside and savoured every mouthful I ate, it was really that good! Exactly what I needed to start my Friday morning. You could also have it as a dessert too, curled up on the couch with a good book after dinner!
Happy baking! xo