The main thing to remember with this new lifestyle is that you can still have meals you love – just substitute with healthier items! So you love white toast in the morning with peanut butter? You can still have this – just use wholemeal bread and 100% natural peanut butter. Love your burger and chips? See meal idea below to make it healthy! Swap it, don’t stop it — denying yourself will only make you want it more (which could result in a binge!).
- 2 slices wholemeal toast + 2 tbsp almond/peanut butter + banana
- 2 slice wholemeal toast + soft boiled egg
- 2 slices wholemeal toast + 3 tbsp hummus
- 1/2 cup oats + 1/2 cup milk + pear/apple + 1/4 cup berries+ 1 tbsp flaxseed + 1/2 tsp cinnamon + 5 walnuts
- 1 cup Greek yogurt + 1/4 cup oats + 3/4 cup berries + 5 walnuts
- 1 cup Greek yogurt + 1 banana + 2 tbsp PB + 1 tsp honey
- 1 cup oats + 1/2 cup milk + 1 pear + 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 cup oats + 1 tbsp almond butter + 1/2 cup berries
- Baked Apple Cinnamon Oatmeal + 1/2 cup greek yogurt + 1/2 cup mixed berries
Quickest way to cook the oats is in a bowl in the microwave with water for approximately 90 seconds (depending on microwave). If you use milk you may need to cook for longer. You can also do it on the stove top but takes longer and uses more dishes!
- 10 grapes + 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp Peanut Butter + banana
- 1 pear/apple + 25g cheddar cheese
- 30g avocado + 1/2 cup tomato + 1 hard boiled egg
- 2 stalks celery + 10 walnut halves
- 2 stalks celery + 2 Tbsp PB
- 1 orange + 10 walnut halves
- 20 almonds
- 10 carrot sticks + 3 tbsp hummus
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt + 1/2 cup berries
- 1 hard boiled egg + 2 tbsp hummus
- 1 banana/apple + 2 tbsp almond butter
- 10 walnuts
- 2 cups air popped popcorn
- 1/2 frozen banana + 1/2 cup greek yogurt + 1/4 cup berries
- Flax Banana Muffin
I eat two snacks per day (between the main meals of the day). Rather than eating three massive meals a day, I prefer to space out 5 smaller ones. Do what works for you.
* Lunch & Dinner (will keep adding to this!)
- 2 slices wholemeal bread + 25g cheese + tomato slices + baby spinach + 1/4 avocado + ham slice + pepper – (can be toasted in sandwich press)
- Same as above but on slices of eggplant
- 1/4 cup (uncooked) quinoa cooked + 1/2 avocado mashed in + eggplant above
- 1/2 pumpkin + 1/2 sweet potato + 1/2 red onion + 1/2 cup brocolli + 1/2 cup cauliflower + 1 carrot – roasted in extra virgin olive oil and mixed herbs (any combination of veges work here!)
- 85g salmon (steamed or grilled) + salad
- 85g chicken breast with garlic and mixed herbs (steamed or grilled) + salad or vegetables + 1/2 cup quinoa or brown rice
- 1 or 2 lamb chops grilled (fat removed) + 1/2 cup brocolli + 1/2 cup cauliflower + 1/2 cup quinoa or brown rice
- “Burger & Chips” = wholemeal roll + homemade lean beef patty (mince & egg & herbs etc) + red onion + spinach + tomato + other favourite fillings + homemade sweet potato fries (slice up a sweet potato, drizzle with extra virgin olive oil and cook in the oven)
- Mexican = ¾ cup cooked beans + ¼ cup sautéed mushrooms + salsa [2 cans diced tomato + ½ red onion + ¼ cup coriander + juice from lemon or lime + garlic + green capsicum] + ½ avocado + wholemeal pita
- Crustless Italian Quiche (recipe coming soon!)
I generally work on the meat and vege principle for most of my meals – one quarter of the plate meat (correctly portioned), 1/2 plate of vegetables and 1/4 plate of wholegrains. But you can make them exciting – use herbs & garlic for flavour. These are the meals I go to when I’m short on time. Otherwise visit the recipes tab for some more ideas.
Visit the Portion Size page to make sure you’re eating the correct amount!